On Tue, 20 May 2008, Frank Batschulat (Home) wrote:

> On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:31:34 +0200, John Beck <jbeck at eng.sun.com> wrote:
>> Frank> Why should Sun engineers use different processes for contributing code
>> Frank> than non-Sun community members ?
>> Because they are employees who have direct access to the source tree and thus
>> do not need to be sponsored.
> fwiw, thats not the point, the point is how to perform an opensolaris
> contribution not how to technically perform a putback. doing that internally
> is not an opensolaris contribution in terms of being a private person
> with interests in working on opensolaris for whatever reasons or joys...

There are already long standing internal processes for folks who
work for Sun who are doing their first integration into Solaris, namely
the CRT.  Certainly folks who work for Sun are still free to ask about
tools, like webrev, and can definitely leverage the os.o aliases
for code reviews & the like (in fact, it's strongly encouraged!).

The "sponsor" just acts as a liason to the CRT for the contributor, but
if you are already internal you can file your own RTI (request to integrate),
update your own bugs, etc.  Folks will still help, even if it's not
part of the official sponsor program.

> there is only one way for an opensolaris contribution right now and that is
> via
> this program. whatever you do internally as a SUN employee is not visible nor
> directly
> accociated or attributed with an opensolaris community contribution.

That's not true - you can do all the work openly and putback notifications
are already shared with the world.  Changes are just as visible when
done by an internal person as an external person.

As John notes, "soon" we'll have the gate outside of SWAN and sponsors
won't be needed anymore :)

Valerie Fenwick, http://blogs.sun.com/bubbva
Solaris Security Technologies,  Developer, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
17 Network Circle, Menlo Park, CA, 94025. 650-786-0461