Valerie Bubb Fenwick wrote:
> As John notes, "soon" we'll have the gate outside of SWAN and sponsors
> won't be needed anymore  :)

Well, once the gate, WebRTI and bug tracking are all outside the SWAN...

But will we give direct commit access to people with no track records or
will we still need a sponsor to help with the first putback or two?

Even internally, it might be nice to have a "mentor" program for people
who've never done an ON putback before.

And as we've seen from the India contest, most people are used to the
process of other open source projects, where you can just toss a patch
over the wall, and not have to go through hours or days of process and
pain to see it integrated - the maintainers of the project do that for
you.   If we truly want to accept open source contributions we need to
learn how to deal with these.    (Though I am slightly biased here - I
know there's a couple trivial things I've been waiting to see putback
for years, but never had the time to go learn ON process for or waste
days trying to figure out how to build it - one has had a patch sitting
in bugster since 2003 (and which a community member recently
submitted the same patch for, expecting us to not just ignore patches
submitted to us), another is a simple /etc/services entry for Xvnc
that I thought the Xen team would do in exchange for me integrating
Xvnc for them, but they couldn't find the time to struggle through
ON process either apparently.)

        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com