Valerie Bubb Fenwick wrote:
>> And as we've seen from the India contest, most people are used to the
>> process of other open source projects, where you can just toss a patch
>> over the wall, and not have to go through hours or days of process and
>> pain to see it integrated - the maintainers of the project do that for
>> you.   If we truly want to accept open source contributions we need to
>> learn how to deal with these.    (Though I am slightly biased here - I
>
> To the best of my knowledge, we have no plan to put staff on taking
> "thrown over the fence" contributions.  Even our current sponsorship
> program still requires that the contributor be willing to run code
> review & do at least unit testing of their fix (even if that just
> means building it).  We've seen a number of contributions languish
> when a contributor does not want to/have time to do those things.

Right - our program assumes everyone wants to become a committer and ignores
the way most open source contributions happen.    This is why, as is commonly
quoted, Linux gets more contributions before lunch than OpenSolaris has in
the 3 years since launch.   We need to figure out how to deal with this if
we want to be a successful open source community - sure some people will want
to put in the effort to be committers, but for a simple change they've
submitted, they don't want to have to do our jobs too.

        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com