> >> The appropriate ioctl
> >> KBD_CMD_BELL and KBD_CMD_NOBELL are already in
> >> sys/kbd.h.
> >>
> >>Those ioctls don't make it so the bell doesn't
> >> sound
> >> in the future - they
> >>are used for sounding the bell.   In the X server,
> >> make a 100ms beep,
> >> we do:
> >>    kbdCmd = KBD_CMD_BELL;
> >>    ioctl(fd, KIOCCMD, &kbdCmd)
> >>    sleep for 100ms
> >>    kbdCmd = KBD_CMD_NOBELL;
> >>    ioctl(fd, KIOCCMD, &kbdCmd)
> >>
> >> You'ld need to add new ones to make a keyboard
> bell
> >> disabling command.
> >>h, this would confirm my testing issues so far. My
> >>confusion comes from the wording (below) in the
> file
> >>http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/ut
> s/
> >>common/io/conskbd.c. Looks ioctls commands like
> >>KBD_CMD_BELL_ENABLE and KBD_CMD_BELL_DISABLE are
> >>required.
> >

> > I don't think I'd mind the bell so much if there
> were some way to control the volume of it! The bell
> exists on other operating systems at the console, but
> I don't remember being nearly as loud as it is in
> Solaris. I don't suppose there is already a way to do
> that, or a way that could be finagled in with this,
> is there? :)
> >

> Actually it is a long standing RFE:
> 4421990 allow changing keyboard bell frequency
>
> As I know, Aaron.Rui at Sun.COM is working on it.
>

> Riny

I have use mdb -k (on intel) to play around with the frequency and duration in
the beep_params structure before. You can change a very anoying beep, into a
low sounding click. (Note a frequency of zero, currently ensures a kernel
panic). I would prefer total silence. The code i have at the moment uses the
'kdb' command to either enable or disable the bell totally. It could be quite
easily changed such that it would set the frequency and duration variables in
the kernel, with a zero frequency being don't make a sound.

Doug