> * Would it be better to have a table with
>  oss-bite-size bugs that might be available
> to work on with a link to others that aren't?

Absolutely. It is still difficult to determine what should
or shouldn't be worked on and what is already being
worked on.  I'm guessing that anything from "Fix Available"
to "Closed" is done (and just "fluff" on a bug page), "Fix In
Progress" presumably means someone is actively working on
it, but what about "Fix Understood" or "Cause Known".

There are several bugs in there that are really easy
(particularly typoes or poor status messages) that even
someone without a huge coding background (like myself...)
could fix, but I don't want to waste effort if someone has
already done it.