Pete Bentley wrote:
> Judging from the number of similar postings, I'm guessing that some
> professor at the Amrita School of Engineering has set "Find and fix a
> Solaris bug" as a piece of coursework for an undergraduate course.

Actually it's Sun's fault - marketing decided to run a contest giving
away iPods, laptops, and desktop computers to students in India who
submit bug fixes to OpenSolaris or one of Sun's other open source projects:

Though since there's also a bonus prize to the school with the most
student submissions, some professor may have done that as well to
win his school that prize.

     -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at