>> Assuming we do steps 1 and 2 above, do we get into any problems with
>> POSIX compliance if the default basic privilege set does not include
>> PRIV_SYS_SYNC?

There is no such thing as a "default basic set".

There's a "basic set" and there's the "default set" users get when
they login; they are generally the same but need not be.

An administrator CANNOT manipulate the basic set; he can manipulate
the default.

Making sync() privileged would violate POSIX; but with basic privileges
that is not an issue because everyone gets them in the default
configuration.

Casper