On Fri 03 Nov 2006 at 10:34AM, Casper.Dik at sun.com wrote:
> >> Assuming we do steps 1 and 2 above, do we get into any problems with
> >> POSIX compliance if the default basic privilege set does not include
> There is no such thing as a "default basic set".
> There's a "basic set" and there's the "default set" users get when
> they login; they are generally the same but need not be.
> An administrator CANNOT manipulate the basic set; he can manipulate
> the default.
> Making sync() privileged would violate POSIX; but with basic privileges
> that is not an issue because everyone gets them in the default
> configuration.

What SUSv3 seems to say is that I/Os must be scheduled before the sync
completes, but the I/Os need not occur prior to the sync(2) call
returning.  It also says nothing about what might happen if not all of
the I/Os complete, or whether the system can be shut down without all
I/Os completing.

So one wonders whether (in the event an unprivileged user issues a sync)
you could just "schedule" the I/O to happen say, 1000 years in the
future.  The poorly defined spec from POSIX seems to be in conflict with
how much effort we might go to in order to comply with it...

Maybe there's a more detailed standards definition somewhere I've not

Daniel Price - Solaris Kernel Engineering - dp at eng.sun.com - blogs.sun.com/dp