>I disagree. The flat layout in /tmp for all temporary files of all users
>is very very annoying for both admins and users. I doubt mode 1777 is
>"insecure" (yes, you can always craft a case where it goes wrong...).

Why?  I hard ever look in /tmp.

OTOH, GNOME already dumps 3 or four temporary directories plus one
for StarOffice so that is a bit much already; organizing them is
good.

What guarantees that all temporary files are delivered there?

Should this really be an administrative option?

The code, I pressume, would look something like:

        if mkdir -p -m 1777 /tmp/$LOGNAME
        then
                if [ -w /tmp/$LOGNAME ]
                then
                        TMPDIR=/tmp/$LOGNAME
                        export TMPDIR
                fi
        fi

But if we really want to prevent denial of service, then
we need to do even more.

Casper