Mike Gerdts wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Darren J Moffat <Darren.Moffat at sun.com> wrote:
>> While it isn't particularly necessary on machines with small numbers of
>> users if you have every logged into a big Sun Ray machine you would have
>> an idea of just how cluttered /tmp can get with hundreds of users all
>> using the same /tmp.
> On such machines, are the files that land in /tmp ones that respect
> $TMPDIR or is it deliberate acts of users that clutter /tmp?  By
> "deliberate acts" I mean a sequence similar to: "I would like to see
> what is in this tar file; cd /tmp ; tar xvf ~/file.tar; darnit! That
> tar file didn't have a single top level directory;"

A mixture in the general case, but on the Sun Ray servers I personally
use it is almost never user induced clutter because they are only used
by developers/engineers who know better than to dump stuff in /tmp :-)

> I am not at all opposed to this proposal, I just suspect that a
> standard /tmp cleaner utility would have more impact.  That is, do for
> /tmp cleaning what logadm has done for log rotation.

Thats a near impossible problem to solve in my opinion.

> If this is a problem that is restricted to the case of a handful of
> situations related to particular applications, it may be useful to
> have /etc/profile process files in a directory named /etc/profile.d.

I've personally not yet formulated an opinion on whither or not I like
the /etc/profile.d stuff I've seen on other systems.  If feels icky
since it looks on some systems just like reintroducing all the problems
of SVR4 init to the users profile :-)

> This way the Sun Ray software could add a file into that directory
> that sets TMPDIR without performing the risky task of modifying
> /etc/profile as a postinstall script.  Having /etc/profile.d (and
> similar for *csh users) would certainly simplify local customization
> of environments without having to worry about patches or upgrades
> whacking them.

I could but I see the exact same problem on machines that people do lots
of ssh access to so it isn't actually a Sun Ray induced problem, though
the fact that GNOME likes lots of temp files certainly increases it some

Darren J Moffat