On Thu, 11 May 2006, Dave Miner wrote:

> John Martinez wrote:
>>> Well, this would present an interesting situation, in that
>>> setup_install_server is not actually open-source at this point  (you'll
>>> note that it doesn't have a CDDL header block), though the  fact that it's
>>> a script makes that a somewhat fine distinction to  draw.
>>> However, we can avoid resolving that question, I believe, because  it
>>> appears that problem has already been fixed some time ago as CR  5083315,
>>> which integrated into snv_27 and includes the change  suggested (the
>>> change required was more extensive than 6422131  suggests).  6422131
>>> claims that this was seen on snv_37, but I  don't quite see how that can
>>> be the case - it's certainly fixed in  my copy of that build.  I expect I
>>> will close 6422131 as a  duplicate of 5083315 unless there's evidence that
>>> it's not working.
>> I don't think it's apparent in the description of the bug I filed,  but the
>> bug is actually in Solaris 10 U1. I was trying to make b37 a  Jumpstart
>> server for Solaris 10 when I found the bug.
> As Mike Sullivan noted to me privately, a clue to that was in the output
> included in the bug, I didn't look that closely.
>> I hope it makes it in to Solaris 10 U2.
> It has.
>> Maybe I should have followed my normal contract customer bug  reporting
>> mechanism?
> Bugs against non-Nevada releases, I'd say yes, unless you also know it's
> present in Nevada, since OpenSolaris isn't a channel to directly fix bugs in
> older releases.

In this case, I'd also recommend still following your normal support
avenues.  not all bug fixes that you find in Nevada are not all backported
to S10.  Usual course (for ON consolidation) for backports are for
Severe issues (like data corruption/panic), escalated bugs for customers
with support contracts, and new features with market justification to
do the backport.

Sometimes the bug is not yet fixed in Nevada, but is indeed there, and
an escalation against S10 will require it is fixed first in Nevada - to
prevent regressions :)

Sponsor me in the Breathe Easy 2 Rock Ride - 65 miles!
Money raised goes to the American Lung Association:
I'll take care of the Sun matching gift for you! Easy!