On Thu 27 Oct 2005 at 08:18PM, Mike Kupfer wrote:
> dep>   One of the problems is that we have no good way to measure the
> dep>   quality of their mentoring.
> I think the idea was to treat the level-3 folks as interns, similar to
> the way new ARC members are brought on board.
> It's been several years since I was on LSARC, but (IIRC) the way we
> handled it was that every case got assigned a regular ARC member as the
> owner, whether or not there was an intern.  If there was an intern, the
> intern did most of the work.  But the owner got cc'd on all the email.
> Would something like that be sufficient to address your concerns here?

ARC interns are (afaik) already experienced engineers.  I'm adding a
big +1 to what Dave has said thus far; he has made, to me anyway,
a persuasive argument that building mentorships, relationships, skills
and knowledge is the core task here.

I had originally written up some thoughts about different permutations
of tier 2, 3, flow of control, etc. but I think I know have to go do
some more thinking about what Dave has said, instead.

Daniel Price - Solaris Kernel Engineering - dp at eng.sun.com - blogs.sun.com/dp