dp> ARC interns are (afaik) already experienced engineers.

Yes, and they usually have non-trivial ARC experience, either as a
fast-track licensee or from multiple project submissions.  I think that
translates into some minimum set of requirements to be a sponsorship
intern, which may well be higher than the proposed tier-3 requirements.

I don't know what those minimum requirements should be.  How experienced
does someone have to be to be a SunVisor to a new employee?  Is SunVisor
even a good comparison point?

dp> I'm adding a big +1 to what Dave has said thus far; he has made, to
dp> me anyway, a persuasive argument that building mentorships,
dp> relationships, skills and knowledge is the core task here.

That makes sense to me, too.