I prefer to use a separate thread launched by cron, out of resin.

I used to create a servlet that implements Runnable and that execute some tasks
at
specified time, but as there is no need to receive http requests or answer
anyway, why
bothering with the whole Resin mechanism ? A simple java class can do the work.

Of course you do not have the database bool or ejb manager, but is it
absolutely necessary
for backoffice and transaction tasks ?

--
Très cordialement,