If you start your own threads, be sure to stop it when the webapp is reloaded without stopping resin.  Otherwise, you will have a thread leak.  Each thread has a reference to its classloader,
so all the classes loaded by that classloader will be be unloaded then the webapp is reloaded.
Eventually the permanent space of the JVM will run out.

Bill