Thank you for your very helpful suggestions ... the other suggestion I
received was to use a JMS message, and send the processing off to a
distributed server. This way the response can return to the browser straight
away, and the heavy processing can be done asynchronously.

I think for the time being I'll go with the separate Java task that runs
separately - outside of Resin. It seems like the simplest solution and I
won't need to worry about thread leaks, memory leaks etc.

- Pauly