What I'm doing in a project is even more convoluted, what can I say? :),
upon receiving the request, I start a quartz task to be run inmediately
that sends a JMS message to the remote server that does the real task.
This way you can return inmeditaly to take care of the response and if
the quartz task fails to reach the JMS server, for whatever reason, it
can auto-schedule itself to try again in 5 minutes, etc. But that's just
for a complicated specific case.

We used to do these tasks with cron jobs, but we moved away from them
because they were OS specific, we needed to create a .bat or .chs
version and check it against the shell in the *nix server, and had to be
installed separately. As we usually have to move from server to server,
we opted in the end to have everything installed in one package with no
OS dependencies. But it depends on your needs and environment. IMHO,
there is no one-size-fits-all.