With a 32 bit JVM and/or CPU you can not address more than 4 GB of memory.
The operating system typically claims between 1 GB and 2 GB of the address
space, leaving perhaps as little as 2 GB to the JVM.  The JVM also needs
some
address space for its internals, so your maximum heap size typically ends up
near 1.5 GB.  (At least on a stock Red Had linux system a couple of
years back.)

-Knut