Hi,

I'm evaluating Resin as an alternative to JBoss. I'm particularly fond
of it's fast startup times and terse yet readable configuration files.
However, I'm concerned that one of my test applications fails to work
giving me an error.

In particular, I have a JSP that contains the following:

                <c:import url="program.jsp" var="xresponse" scope="page">
                        <c:param name="xml">
                                <c:out value="${fn:trim(xrequest)}"
escapeXml='false'/>
                        </c:param>
                </c:import>
                <x:parse doc="${fn:trim(xresponse)}" var="parsedresponse"/>

That last line generates the error:

500 Servlet Exception

/prototype/user/create/index.jsp:101: unexpected attribute `doc' in <x:parse>
com.caucho.jsp.JspLineParseException: /prototype/user/create/index.jsp:101:
unexpected attribute `doc' in <x:parse>
        at com.caucho.jsp.java.JspNode.error(JspNode.java:1480)
        at com.caucho.jsp.java.JspNode.error(JspNode.java:1471)
        at com.caucho.jsp.java.GenericTag.fillAttributes(GenericTag.java)
        at com.caucho.jsp.java.CustomTag.generate(CustomTag.java)
        at
com.caucho.jsp.java.JspContainerNode.generateChildren(JspContainerNode.java:439)
        at com.caucho.jsp.java.JstlCoreIf.generate(JstlCoreIf.java:137)
        at
com.caucho.jsp.java.JspContainerNode.generateChildren(JspContainerNode.java:439)
        at com.caucho.jsp.java.JspTop.generate(JspTop.java:239)
        at
com.caucho.jsp.java.JavaJspGenerator.generate(JavaJspGenerator.java:635)
        at
com.caucho.jsp.java.JavaJspGenerator.generate(JavaJspGenerator.java:502)
        at
com.caucho.jsp.JspCompilerInstance.generate(JspCompilerInstance.java:477)
        at
com.caucho.jsp.JspCompilerInstance.compile(JspCompilerInstance.java:373)
        at com.caucho.jsp.JspManager.compile(JspManager.java:233)
        at com.caucho.jsp.JspManager.createPage(JspManager.java:177)
        at com.caucho.jsp.JspManager.createPage(JspManager.java:157)
        at com.caucho.jsp.PageManager.getPage(PageManager.java:248)
        at com.caucho.jsp.PageManager.getPage(PageManager.java:166)
        at com.caucho.jsp.QServlet.getSubPage(QServlet.java:292)
        at com.caucho.jsp.QServlet.getPage(QServlet.java:210)
        at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.PageFilterChain.compilePage(PageFilterChain.java:206)
        at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.PageFilterChain.doFilter(PageFilterChain.java:133)
        at
com.caucho.server.webapp.WebAppFilterChain.doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:173)
        at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletInvocation.service(ServletInvocation.java:229)
        at
com.caucho.server.http.HttpRequest.handleRequest(HttpRequest.java:274)
        at com.caucho.server.port.TcpConnection.run(TcpConnection.java:511)
        at com.caucho.util.ThreadPool.runTasks(ThreadPool.java:520)
        at com.caucho.util.ThreadPool.run(ThreadPool.java:442)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Resin-3.0.22 (built Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:32:38 PST)
===========

This code works in Tomcat 5.5.

I did a bit of searching and wanted to try the "turn of fast jstl" as
a workaround. Two issues here:

1) The documentation on this configuration option appears to be wrong.
Consider what http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/jsp/jstl.xtp says:

<caucho.com>
<http-server>
  <jsp fast-jstl='false'/>
</http-server>
</caucho.com>

Where do these tags appear in resin.conf? They don't. A Google search turned up:

http://www.simongbrown.com/blog/2005/06/20/disabling_fast_jstl_on_resin_3_0_x.html

which indicates it can go into webapp. So I did that, but....

2) Adding this configuration doesn't fix the problem. The "doc"
attribute of x:parse is most certainly supported by JSTL 1.1:

  http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/1.1/docs/tlddocs/index.html

-----
Interestingly, I just checked and realized that I had configured
Tomcat with JSTL at the container level, and so this project does not
contain the jstl.jar and standard.jar. I'm going to try adding these
next (and adding the taglib declaration to web.xml). But I see this as
a seperate bug in Resin: if I disable fast jstl, I would expect the
application to fail faster with a "taglib not found" type of error.

I am very much hoping that there is some oversight on my part. I do
not like JBoss's baroque configuration at all and would very much like
to convince my peers that Resin is the way to go.

Kind regards,
Josh Rehman