On Dec 4, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Josh Rehman wrote:

> <%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/xml"; prefix="x" %>

Hmm.  It looks like Resin's tld for 1.1 were using a draft prefix
that got changed in the final spec release.  So Resin was using the
1.0 tag libraries.

>> It looks like the @doc attribute is declared in Resin's 1.1 tld, but
>> not the 1.0 tld.  Also, Resin will use the jstl.jar if it's available
>> (and fast-jstl is turned off) in preference to its own tag libraries.
>
> I suggest that when a user disables fast-jstl and deploys a project
> that uses JSTL and yet does not include the JSTL libraries (as I did
> at first), that Resin should emit a warning, or possibly fail.
> Abstractly, the first action is saying "Container, I'll take care of
> this responsibility" - it would be nice if the container noticed that
> the project really isn't taking care of the responsibility.

That's not quite right.  "fast-jstl" is Resin's JSP integration with
JSTL, i.e. the JSP compiler itself knows about the JSTL tags and can
generate better code.  When we do JSF (for Javaee 5), we'll do the
same kind of JSP/JSF integration.  (Actually, it looks like we might
be able to make some JSF things easier.  You might be able to declare
a UIComponent to Resin and avoid writing the .tld entirely.  Resin's
JSP can certainly introspect it for you.)

So disabling fast-jstl doesn't disable jstl entirely, it just
disables the special JSP compilation.

-- Scott