As you increase the heap size, the time it takes to do a full gc will also
increase.
You can check your gc.log to see what that is like.

Is the 500 error reported by your Apache frontend?  If so, anything in
resin's log
file when that was happening?

By the way, what version of Java are you running?

Bill