On Jan 16, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Rob Lockstone wrote:

> Environment: Windows 2003 Server, Resin Pro 3.0.21 Standalone, Java
> 1.4.2
>
> I am seeing quite a few of these messages in Resin's stdout.log file:
>
> [08:43:25.884] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 8192
> [08:43:26.228] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 8192
> [08:43:27.353] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 8192
> [08:43:27.728] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 8192
> [08:43:29.103] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 8192
> [08:43:29.447] java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 8192
>
> The format of the message does not match our logging format. So I
> assume that Resin is creating these messages. [Aside: It would be
> nice if Resin identified itself when it prints something out.] These
> messages usually appear in clumps like above. Maybe always in clumps,
> it's hard to tell, but I haven't seen any that are one-off.

Normally, Resin logs the stack trace for exceptions.  So I'm not sure
where this one is coming from either.

> I don't know if it's related, but we're also experiencing complete
> meltdown of resin, to the point where it won't accept new
> connections, but the server itself isn't all that busy, about 200-300
> connections per second. Resin needs to be restarted in order to fully
> recover. It's at the point now where we've decided to try installing
> IIS to see if it can handle the load better. Or rather, since it's
> not really a lot of load, we're surmising that Resin isn't handling
> connections appropriately or something.

Does a thread dump show any information?  (Might be a bit trickier on
windows to get one.)

> Again, I don't know if the 8192 error is related or not. I looked
> through the Resin 3.0.21 source for 8192 and found quite a few
> instances where it's used, mostly for arrays. But without more
> information in the error message itself, I have no idea which one is
> overflowing.

I'd need to hunt through and see if there's a case where we're doing:

   log.fine(e.toString());

instead of

   log.log(Level.FINE, e.toString(), e);

-- Scott