The rationale behind separate conf files is that the different
applications could potentially, but not necessarily, run on different
machines.

I found the key thing was that in order to have separate instances on
the same machine you must have different watchdog ports.  E.g.

  <server-default>
      <watchdog-port>6706</watchdog-port>
  </server-default>

Server-default is a child of "cluster", so Scott's way will work like
this as well (of course.)

Saludos,
Jose.