I'm not sure I understood your question, but I'm going to answer anyway

What we do is have different web-app-deploy paths, like this:

  <host id="" root-directory=".">
      <web-app-deploy path="app1"/>
      <web-app id="/" document-directory="app1/app1"/>

"Host" can be a child of "cluster" so changing things in the app1
webapps directory should not affect any other cluster (or host?)

The above assumes an "app1.war" file in the app1 directory, BTW.