Ah, after couple more hours, I found the problem. It was a config AND
a bug I believe. We have manually configured our webapps (which are
NOT in .war files) in a webapps directory. This same webapps directory
was also setup for the <web-app-deploy> for .war files. We didn't have
any .war files, but I think it was initializing everything in there
twice because of that. Moving the web-app-deploy directory solved all
our issues.

I believe this is related to http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=1296
which is what caused me to check for the .war files deploy directory.
I can't make any comments on the above bug because mantis gave a 'mail
function not found' error. (Which I stupidly didn't copy down...can't
do it again since the user already exists.)