Not sure if that would work for you or not, but another option would be
to move that initial process to a background thread and then your app
can check itself if the init has finished or not, and answer with a
nicer message "initalisation in progress, please wait..." etc, rather
than holding the container initialisation for that long.

The problem I see with halting resin init-process is that if you add
other servlets or other applications in the same container, they might
have to wait for that long, even if they could be answering requests
already. Moreover, doing it on your own would also make your web app
container-agnostic, you would not depend on the container holding other
servlets or not, returning 503s or not...

Just an idea,