During a redeployment, there is certainly a period of downtime. In my
testing, while the application archive is being uploaded and expanded a user
will receive error code 500 java stack traces when trying to access that
virtual host or web app.

My question is this: how are you guys handling redeployment downtimes and
500 errors?

A simple downtime.html page will do, but how would I set that globally -
meaning outside any virtual host and web app? Obviously any error-page set
inside a virtual host or web app will not work. My resin.conf is very
simple.

<server>
   <http server-id="" host="*" port="6700"/>
   <host-deploy host-name="www.${host.name}" path="/srv/www/resin">
       <host-default>
           <web-app id="/" document-directory="."/>
       </host-default>
   </host-deploy>
</server>

Thanks for any advice - I've been trying to solve this for days,
atomi