test.jsp here http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.1/doc/xslt-filter.xtp shows
you need to add this and the filter to the web-app in order for it to
trigger resin to performing the transformation. I'm having an issue
based on that example where basically I need to also control the
contentType for real, i.e. "text/html", "text/xml" etc.

How can I do this whilst still using the xsl filter please?
The problem is in the stylesheet, if I change method="xml" to
method="html" below the contentType in the HTTP response toggles between

       doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"/>

I want to retain the method="xml" line but have it served as html so the
browser doesn't complain about missing stylesheets. But of course, as
soon as I try to set the contentType in the JSP I find I must leave it
at 'x-application/xslt' or the filter won't be applied.