official document says in your web.xml or resin-web.xml :

<web-app xmlns="http://caucho.com/ns/resin";>
 <servlet-mapping url-pattern="*.php"

      servlet-class="com.caucho.quercus.servlet.QuercusServlet">
   <init>
     <script-encoding>
ISO-8859-1</script-encoding>
   </init>
 </servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

give it a try.

when i used  this with chinese encoding ,maybe the same as your problem, in
my experience it never worked .