Mattias Jiderhamn-4 wrote:
>> Also let's not forget that most of the PHP development takes place on
>> Windows machines, where making things work (e.g. with IIS) is even more
>> error prone.
>> So for all these people, just downloading an application server,
>> unpacking
>> and starting it is much simpler and secure above all.
> The problem is that Windows users normally don't have a JDK installed.
Maybe, but this is true for any other things as well (or does windows come
with the Zend platform pre-installed?). Also installing the JDK is dead
as there is a setup that can be installed by just clicking, with no further
configuration/tunning required.
If this is mentioned everywhere with the according link, all users can do it
(not so when command line work or editing config files is required).

Mattias Jiderhamn-4 wrote:
>> David Campbell wrote:
>>> Why Caucho decided to have php support in their webserver rather than
>>> fix the bugs in the Servlet container is something that confuses my and
>>> my colleagues almost daily.
>> The one has nothing to do with the other.
>> PHP support is webserver independent so it does not exclude the other.
> If you are watching TV instead of cleaning the house or mowing the lawn,
> does your spouse agree with you that "The one has nothing to do with the
> other"...?
Sorry but this does not apply here.
AFAIK Caucho is a company, not a "one man show".

Judging by your logic, all companies would do only one product at a time.

just my 2 cents,

P.S. I understand that some (maybe many - I can't appreciate) users are
frustrated with some "ugly" Resin bugs, but IMHO this is not the way these
problems will be solved.
Some constructuive bug reports with simple and reproductible test cases
would help much more.
Also since Resin comes with most of the sources, it's simpler in many cases
to point the code lines where the problems appear and maybe propose a
solution. I can't believe if Issues are approached this way, Caucho wouldn't
fix them ASAP.
IMHO the above is true for every project, open source or not.

Sent from the Resin mailing list archive at