I'm assuming this is on Linux or something else that's Unixy.  You can
find out what your limit for open files is by typing "ulimit -a".
Here's an example from one of my systems:

# ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
max nice                        (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 131072
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
max rt priority                 (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 131072

As you can see, the default limit for open files is 1024.  You can set
this for your session uing ulimit like this: "ulimit -n 10000".  To make
it sticky across reboots you'll have to edit /etc/security/limits.conf
and add a line that reads something like this:

resin           hard    nofile          10000

Do a "man bash" and search for "ulimit" if you want more details.

HTH,
Jose.