Resin.conf is for the configuration of resin on a particular host, if you want
to deploy your application onto different hosts, then treat it as an deployment
issue.

One way to address different deployments  is to have your ant do the job:

ant deploy-windows_host    # generate resin.conf file with file path relevant
to the host windows_host, and copy resin.conf along with your war files to
windows_host
ant deploy-linux_host        # generate another resin.conf, copy the files to
linux_host

The flexibility(capability of <host regexp...> ) in resin.conf is mainly for
configuring single physical host to facilitate multiple virtual hosts.

I wouldn't go into the trouble to mix  single host configuration issue with
deployment (on to different hosts) issue.