The existing log file was not missing, just that you could not see it. Resin
still had the file handle and wrote bytes into it.
If you paid attention to the file system free space, you would see the log
space was not released, until you restarted Resin.

If you still want to use logrotate, please use postrotate command to restart
Resin; if you 'really' know logrotate, you would have noticed plenty of
programs that use postrotate to reload or restart programs -- for the very same
reason. It's the UNIX thing.