I love caucho products and all the work Scott has done (he's the fing man) but if it were me, I wouldn't use Quercus in production unless I was 100% sure my application ran 100% correctly on it.

That said, most php applications will run *great*, especially if you hand built them. When you introduce a framework, you now must check to be sure that framework runs correctly as well.

In getting familiar with webapps 'the java way' realize that as of today there is of course more than one way. But start with the fundamentals:

- understand jsp and servlets
-- plenty of material online (google: core servlets), but I recommend the Head First book
-- read Sun's servlet spec
- understand MVC aka 'model 2 mvc'
- understand struts 1
-- see the online book 'struts survival guide'
- experiment w/ Resin to learn about db connection pooling and other cool features

In other words, learn to build a standard Java webapp. Then learn how to use Quercus. Many in the java camp would cringe at the notion of using php for anything other than the view. In addition, the Java community has gone waaay past manual database interactions like the usual php mysql and pdo functions. So you will at some point want to look at ORM layers like Hibernate et al, unless you really love sql and string concatenation.

As for c and fun, I still have my hair and I like to keep it that way, but you might be a far better programmer than me.

Viel gluck,