again i would say do all the experimentation w/ a mod-php5 box first.
you may be able to push the original application developers saying something
like,
'we put it on a mod-php5 box and it isnt running'.
ask them if its supposed to run on mod-php5.
as for the list of app frameworks that run on quercus it looks like
phpMyAdmin definately runs on: php 4.1.0
phpBB runs on: php 4.3.3

i would really try to find out what the exact requirements are; you might be
missing an extension
the app relies on, and that could be the big problem getting it to run under
quercus.
get it to run on mod-php5; find out exactly what extensions you need; press
the devs at that
company if it doesnt run there and then try to get it to run under quercus.
like i said, there
may be an extension quercus doesnt have that the app relies on, which might
cripple your
objective if you dont want to write any code, or pay the other company.

ps.
if it were me, i wouldnt tell them i was trying to run it under quercus
until i absolutely had too.

-nathan

Hi Scott,

> What is the specific problem you're seeing?  It might be a Quercus bug.
> PHP 5 should only be an extention of PHP 4, so all PHP 4 applications
> should work fine.  It might be a bug in Quercus.

Thanks for your response. I'm not familiar with PHP, so at this
point unfortunately I cannot give you a specific technical example
of an error - at least not one that would help you diagnose the
problem. My description would be too high-level, such as "when I
press this button, it doesn't work."

It could be a problem with the PHP code itself. Perhaps just a few
tweaks would make it work properly with Quercus.

Basically we're using Resin for our Java web applications, and
trying to add a PHP application, developed entirely by a third party,
without changing or adding servers.

I wish I knew enough about PHP to be able to determine if the
problem can or cannot easily be solved. The provider's developers are
using another server, and so are quick to blame Resin/Quercus for the
bugs. I'm not sure that they're willing to put in some effort to fix
the problems. Rather, they're pushing us to use the same server as
theirs.

On the other hand, I look at your list of rather complex applications
that run under Quercus without problems (phpMyAdmin, phpBB, etc.) and
think that this application should be able to work properly under
Quercus. Again, how can I determine this without knowing much PHP.

If I am able to produce a very specific bug in the application and
narrow down the source php file that causes the error, I'll post it
here and hopefully you can determine if it's a Quercus bug or not.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks very much for your help.

Fred
--

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]