I already have it declared in header include files, but it doesn't do
anything.

I did some searching and found this nugget (from
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/java/news/jsptips_1100.html
tip #2):
"The default buffer size is 8KB, more than enough for a typical page,
and you can increase it with the buffer attribute of the page directive.
But if you use the include action in a page, you may be in for a
surprise. Due to limitations in the way the servlet features used by
<jsp:include> are specified, the buffer is always flushed before the
target page is invoked. This means that you can't set headers or use
<jsp:forward> after a <jsp:include> action."

So far it seems to me that setting it manually in every jsp is my only
option, which is quite annoying.

-Hans Loeblich