I see from your link that Sun uses an int, but couldn't that be arbitrary?

I don't believe Jakarta, and other implementations have this limit -- I just
looked and they are using a long.  This is a seriously limiting factor and
may require us to swap out our underlying servers from Resin (which I
really, really don't want to do).

Thanks,

Aaron Freeman