one further question, is there more detail regarding exactly when we might see
such an exit, (say, as a consequence of a long garbage collection)?

is it as simple as a number of milliseconds after which the Alarm becomes a
problem?

Scott Ferguson wrote:
> Yes.  The PingThread is active in that case.  It does some other more
> minor checks even if there are no URLs.
>
> Were you able to get a thread dump?   One way that situation could
> occur is if the threads completely fill up or the Alarm freezes.  It
> is an indication that something is significantly wrong, most likely
> with some kind of threading issue.
accept liability for any errors or omissions. Any commitment intended to bind
Algorithmics must be reduced to writing and signed by an authorized signatory.