I try to write an Authenticator that uses a persistence unit that
stores users identities.
The unit is stored in ext-webapps so multiple applications can use it.

If I try to use annotations only null is passed as the persistence
manager. If I try to look either the persistence context up in the
authenticator over JNDI I get a name not found. Even if I try to delay
the actual lookup until loginImpl is called the Unit / Context can
still not be found.

Looking up the same context in an example servlet works over

It shouldn't be such an uncommon case for an authenticator to access
infomration from a persistence context? I mean it is easy to work
arround the problem by using SQL queries but using the persistence
unit approach would make things easier.