Scott and others-

My client has a five-node Resin Pro cluster, each running version 3.1.2.

Today one of the nodes experienced an OutOfMemoryException which did not
bring Resin down but seemed to have put it in a completely unresponsive
state.

With 10 minutes or so of that happening, the other four servers stop
responding as well.  Looking at their logs shows that they are
continuously getting socket timeouts while trying to communicate with
the first server for session clustering.  (Stack trace below).

To be fair, this is not the only exception being thrown.  We also see
our distributed EhCache system unsuccessfully trying to replicate
itself.  And we *also* see the occasional Hessian exception happening
(also below).  Ultimately the server just gets so bogged down, it seems,
that it needs to be restarted.

So my question is this:

Assuming a Resin node runs out of memory, is there a way for other Resin
nodes to detect that and take the same action as if the node was
actually down?  I'm not sure this is really a bug, but it is probably a
good super-edge-case scenario worth thinking about.

We are currently looking at our watchdog process config to see why it
did not auto-restart Resin.  I think we didn't give enough memory buffer
for the watchdog to detect a needed restart, and our app lost
responsiveness before the watchdog could restart it.  But that's just a
theory.

I am interested in feedback from Scott and other Caucho developers about
this issue, as well as other Resin users who may have experienced issues
like this before and have any thoughts or suggestions on the matter.

Thanks.

..mike..

--- Socket Timeout stack trace (partial) ---

[14:47:10.389] java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

[14:47:10.389]  at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)

[14:47:10.389]  at
java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)

[14:47:10.389]  at com.caucho.vfs.TcpStream.read(TcpStream.java:163)

[14:47:10.389]  at
com.caucho.vfs.ReadStream.readBuffer(ReadStream.java:1001)

[14:47:10.389]  at com.caucho.vfs.ReadStream.read(ReadStream.java:306)

[14:47:10.389]  at
com.caucho.server.cluster.ClusterStore.updateAccess(ClusterStore.java:85
6)

[14:47:10.389]  at
com.caucho.server.cluster.ClusterStore.accessServer(ClusterStore.java:82
3)

[14:47:10.389]  at
com.caucho.server.cluster.ClusterStore.accessImpl(ClusterStore.java:804)

[14:47:10.389]  at
com.caucho.server.cluster.ClusterObject.access(ClusterObject.java:337)

[14:47:10.389]  at
com.caucho.server.session.SessionImpl.setAccess(SessionImpl.java:839)

[14:47:10.389]  at
com.caucho.server.session.SessionManager.load(SessionManager.java:1477)

[14:47:10.389]  at
com.caucho.server.session.SessionManager.getSession(SessionManager.java:
1335)

[14:47:10.389]  at
com.caucho.server.connection.AbstractHttpRequest.createSession(AbstractH
ttpRequest.java:1455)

[14:47:10.389]  at
com.caucho.server.connection.AbstractHttpRequest.getSession(AbstractHttp
Request.java:1270)

[14:47:10.389]  at
net.sf.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilte
r(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:172)

[14:47:10.389]  at
net.sf.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(F
ilterChainProxy.java:303)

[14:47:10.389]  at
net.sf.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.jav
a:173)

[14:47:10.389]  at
net.sf.acegisecurity.util.FilterToBeanProxy.doFilter(FilterToBeanProxy.j
ava:125)

[14:47:10.389]  at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.FilterFilterChain.doFilter(FilterFilterChain.
java:73)

--- Hessian failure stack trace ---

[14:15:00.065] Caused by:
org.springframework.web.util.NestedServletException: Hessian skeleton
invocation failed; nested exception is java.io.IOException: expected 'c'
in hessian input at -1

[14:15:00.065]  at
org.springframework.remoting.caucho.HessianServiceExporter.handleRequest
(HessianServiceExporter.java:150)

[14:15:00.065]  at
org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.HttpRequestHandlerAdapter.handle(Htt
pRequestHandlerAdapter.java:49)

[14:15:00.065]  at
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherS
ervlet.java:857)

[14:15:00.065]  at
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherSe
rvlet.java:792)

[14:15:00.065]  at
org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(Framewor
kServlet.java:475)

[14:15:00.065]  at
org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet
.java:440)

[14:15:00.065]  at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:153)

[14:15:00.065]  at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:91)

[14:15:00.065]  at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletFilterChain.doFilter(ServletFilterChai
n.java:103)

[14:15:00.065]  at
net.sf.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(F
ilterChainProxy.java:292)

[14:15:00.065]  at
taylor.tops.security.UserTrackerFilter.doFilter(UserTrackerFilter.java:2
7)

[14:15:00.065]  at
net.sf.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(F
ilterChainProxy.java:303)

[14:15:00.065]  at
net.sf.acegisecurity.intercept.web.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(Filt
erSecurityInterceptor.java:84)

[14:15:00.065]  at
net.sf.acegisecurity.intercept.web.SecurityEnforcementFilter.doFilter(Se
curityEnforcementFilter.java:182)

[14:15:00.065]  ... 18 more

[14:15:00.065] Caused by: java.io.IOException: expected 'c' in hessian
input at -1

[14:15:00.065]  at
org.springframework.remoting.caucho.Hessian2SkeletonInvoker.invoke(Hessi
an2SkeletonInvoker.java:51)

[14:15:00.065]  at
org.springframework.remoting.caucho.HessianServiceExporter.handleRequest
(HessianServiceExporter.java:147)

[14:15:00.065]  ... 31 more

Michael Wynholds

President