Both the add and remove behavior you're describing is exactly what would
happen if the load balancing was not sticky across 2 servers.  What kind
of load balancer are you using?

I would try to confirm by creating a JSP like this:

<%=java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostName()%>

and hit it repeatedly to confirm that stickiness is working.  I don't
know the PHP syntax offhand to do the same, but just something to print
the IP address of the server you hit.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501