Don Willis escribió:
 > ...Does anybody have a compelling argument why
 > having less memory would dramatically slow down Resin's class loading?

Hi,

Te only general reason I can think would be that the lack of memory is
causing the GC to fire too often, so you have a situation where the JVM
reserves some memory for the newly generated classes, GC fires and frees
some, then another requests come and there's still not enough, but some
other classes are not in use already, so the GC fires again... so this
"memory thrashing" causes the GC overhead/pauses to slow down the
application.

When you have more memory, when the GC fires more memory can be freed at
once hence it does not have to run for a while. Even if you don't have
memory leaks, that can happen to some applications if they
consume/release memory quite often.

It's not a common case and might not be your case, but that's one of the
reasons why increasing some memory can make wonders to an, otherwise
healthy, application.

S!
D.
Daniel Lopez Janariz ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Web Services
Centre for Information and Technology
Balearic Islands University
(SPAIN)