On Apr 2, 2008, at 8:21 AM, Andrew Fritz wrote:

> Our production servers have their maximum memory set to 2048m.
> Everything is fine for a while. Eventually the java process ends up
> with
> all 2048m allocated. At this point server load starts going up and
> response time gets bad. Eventually request start timing out.
>
> Restarting the server fixes the problem instantly and everything is
> good
> again. Occasionally one of the servers will do this on its own,
> presumably because it reaches the 1m free threshold. That appears to
> be
> to small a margin and a restart is needed well before there is only 1m
> left so I adjusted the minimum free memory from 1m to 24m.
>
> That seems like a bandage though. The heap dump returned a blank
> page so
> I'm not sure what was going on there. I'm just curious if anyone has
> any
> theories about what might be eating up memory over time.
>
> We are using Hibernate and PHP and of course java.

Does the heap dump page work for you in a normal situation, i.e.
before you start running out of memory?

That's really the first place to start looking.  The leaking memory
might be obvious from Resin's heap dump page.  If it's not enough
information, the next step would be to use a more sophisticated memory
profiler.

-- Scott