<init-param characterEncoding="utf8" />
on the database driver in resin.conf

----- Original Message -----
Subject: [Resin-interest] java mysql and utf8
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 07:57:21 +0200
From: Riccardo Cohen

I have a problem to build a full utf-8 application.
I made a little sample that displays a list of items, and let the user
edit/add/delete items.
This works ok except with utf-8 chars.

1) if I put characters like ꄈ or Щ in the database using phpmyadmin,
they display correctly on the html page in the

2) but if I want to change a string or add an item using these utf-8
chars, the mysql db stores "?" instead

3) if I search %Щ% I find nothing (while searching for "é" or "£" works
all right)

to allow utf-8 I've done the following :

- uncomment utf-8 encoding in resin.conf
- add response.setContentType("text/html;charset=utf-8"); in every
response and
every jsp page
- in mysql change all text fields into utf8 :
name char(50) collate utf8_unicode_ci,

This does not seams to be enough. As it works all right with phpmyadmin,
I suppose this is a jdbc driver issue. I've downloaded the latest
mysqljdbc (mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar) and tried to set some
encoding attribute in the resin.conf database specification (
encoding="utf-8"/>), but it does not work.

Thanks for any help.

Très cordialement,

Riccardo Cohen
149 av Général de Gaulle