Hi Scott,

I work with Andrew and we are still fighting this problem.  Thanks for the
advice.. we are analyzing the heap dump as you suggest.

For added color to the problem, linked is an image of one of our servers
load (courtesy of Munin).  The other server behaves similarly, but the two
do not manifest the problem in concert (this is a cluster environ with 2
servers).  You can see that the mem usage climbs to the point where the
server begins to encounter high load.  The server load will drop
dramatically along with mem usage when either the server is restarted
(manually or automatically).

http://sandeepghael.com/ServerMemoryPattern.jpg

I was reading this Caucho resin page on perf tuning of the jvm and have a
few questions:
http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/performance/jvm-tuning.xtp

1) why is it best practice to set "-Xms and maximum -Xmx heap sizes to the
same value".  Currently we are setting -Xmx at 1500m with -Xms undefined.
2) I actually experimented with  lowering the max heap size to -1024M, and
the problem seems to occur faster.  We thought that lowering the JVM heap
size might prevent OS swap if that was the problem.
3) if -Xss is 4m, and we have 256 max threads, that mean we should account
for the OS to commit 4m*256=1G for stack space.  Correct?
4) if our machine has 3.3G ram, what is best practice in terms of mem
allocation for the JVM vs the rest of the OS?

Our conf file below.

regards,
Sandeep

(clustered environment)

           <!--
                     - The JVM arguments
                    -->
            <jvm-arg>-Xmx1500m</jvm-arg>
            <jvm-arg>-Xss4m</jvm-arg>
            <jvm-arg>-Xdebug</jvm-arg>
            <jvm-arg>-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote</jvm-arg>

            <!--
                     - Uncomment to enable admin heap dumps
                     - <jvm-arg>-agentlib:resin</jvm-arg>
                    -->

            <watchdog-arg>-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote</watchdog-arg>

            <!--
                     - Configures the minimum free memory allowed before
Resin
                     - will force a restart.
                    -->
            <memory-free-min>24M</memory-free-min>

            <!-- Maximum number of threads. -->
            <thread-max>256</thread-max>

            <!-- Configures the socket timeout -->
            <socket-timeout>65s</socket-timeout>

            <!-- Configures the keepalive -->
            <keepalive-max>128</keepalive-max>
            <keepalive-timeout>15s</keepalive-timeout>