Andrew Fritz wrote:
Well, based on previous advice we are inspection both the profile and heap dump. Both point to a problem with one of our business objects (referenced previous: ShallowSongBO) so I implemented a simple instance counter on that object.

There is a static variable. It is incremented in the constructor and decremented by finalize. Both are synchronized on the class "ShallowSongBO" so the counter should be thread safe. I simply print the count each time an instance is created of finalized.

On my box and on production to start with the instance count is well behaved. It goes up for a while and then at some point it will fall off. On production, eventually it begins to ONLY increase and never go down. I suspect that other objects have the same problem, it is just that we load many many songs compared to other classes. In fact the heap dump shows that the object we load the second most is also hanging around.

It looks to me like garbage collection just stops at some point.
You might want to read Bruce Eckels old Blog,
and search for the entry 'Destructors in GCed languages'

http://onthethought.blogspot.com/

It might shed some light on your problem.

As an experiment I've implemented a url that allows me to execute System.gc(); This is probably a placebo and should be needed but I'll know today or tonight if requesting garbage collection has any effect. I have to wait for the problem to manifest itself again some time later today or tonight to know if this will have any effect.

Andrew

Bill Au wrote:
I would take some threads dump during heavy load to see what is going on.
Jconsole with the JTop plug-in can show you the threads that are using the
most CPU.

Bill