On May 19, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Maurice Volaski wrote:

> After extending the debugging, I immediately found the problem
> [19:02:56.255] {main} Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot create
> directory: /usr/share/resin/admin
> Once I changed ownership on /usr/share/resin to be owned by the
> resin user, the problem went away. My system is Gentoo Linux and the
> ebuild prepares the directories and sets their ownerships and
> permissions. So it seems the bug is here is Gentoo's default
> configuration, although it's not clear why resin tries to manipulate
> anything in /usr/share/resin given that it is started with -resin-
> home /usr/lib/resin. (I don't know why there even is a /usr/lib/
> resin; Gentoo sets it up that way.)

Thanks. That's definitely a bug. I've filed that as

The startup isn't putting some of the directories in the right
places.  Instead of creating them in resin.root, it's putting them in
resin.home.  Since resin.home should be read-only, that's

> Also, it doesn't entirely make sense why this behavior occurs only
> if resin is started with "start".

I'm not sure why, but it's certainly a bug, so it doesn't necessary
make sense :)