On May 19, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Maurice Volaski wrote:

> After extending the debugging, I immediately found the problem
>
> [19:02:56.255] {main} Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot create
> directory: /usr/share/resin/admin
>
> Once I changed ownership on /usr/share/resin to be owned by the
> resin user, the problem went away. My system is Gentoo Linux and the
> ebuild prepares the directories and sets their ownerships and
> permissions. So it seems the bug is here is Gentoo's default
> configuration, although it's not clear why resin tries to manipulate
> anything in /usr/share/resin given that it is started with -resin-
> home /usr/lib/resin. (I don't know why there even is a /usr/lib/
> resin; Gentoo sets it up that way.)

Thanks. That's definitely a bug. I've filed that as
http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=2682
.

The startup isn't putting some of the directories in the right
places.  Instead of creating them in resin.root, it's putting them in
resin.home.  Since resin.home should be read-only, that's

> Also, it doesn't entirely make sense why this behavior occurs only
> if resin is started with "start".

I'm not sure why, but it's certainly a bug, so it doesn't necessary
make sense :)