On May 19, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Maurice Volaski wrote:

>> On May 19, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Maurice Volaski wrote:
>>
>>> After extending the debugging, I immediately found the problem
>>>
>>> [19:02:56.255] {main} Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot
>>> create directory: /usr/share/resin/admin
>>>
>>> Once I changed ownership on /usr/share/resin to be owned by the
>>> resin user, the problem went away. My system is Gentoo Linux and
>>> the ebuild prepares the directories and sets their ownerships and
>>> permissions. So it seems the bug is here is Gentoo's default
>>> configuration, although it's not clear why resin tries to
>>> manipulate anything in /usr/share/resin given that it is started
>>> with -resin-home /usr/lib/resin. (I don't know why there even is
>>> a /usr/lib/resin; Gentoo sets it up that way.)
>>
>> Thanks. That's definitely a bug. I've filed that as
>> http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=2682
>> .
>>
>> The startup isn't putting some of the directories in the right
>> places.  Instead of creating them in resin.root, it's putting them
>> in resin.home.  Since resin.home should be read-only, that's
>>

> I am confused some. Gentoo sets up /usr/lib/resin as resin.home and
> but also creates /usr/share/resin  where it puts resin's "lib"
> directory and sets up /usr/lib/resin/lib as a symlink to that. So I
> am not clear on which directory is supposed to be resin.root. I
> don't see any configuration that's explicitly assigning it. Resin is
> trying to create "admin" in /usr/share/resin, which has write
> privileges only for root, not in resin.home, which is /usr/lib/
> resin/. Resin.home is owned by and writable by resin under Gentoo.

I'm not familiar with the Gentoo configuration, so I'm not sure why
the parts of Resin are put in different places.  But as long as Resin
can read the jar files and the configuration file, it shouldn't matter.

In your configuration, where is resin.root?  i.e. where does the
content go?  That resin.root should be the only writable directory.

-- Scott