As we are discussing some other issues, we found a potential serious problem
with jsp:useBean. Basically, if useBean only has the type parameter but not
the class/bean parameters, the resin server will fail because it does not
know what to instantiate, contrary to the spec.

<!-- should set foo to null but fail instead. -->
<jsp:useBean id="foo" type="java.lang.String" scope="request"/>

For the full discussion of the bug and  the JSP spec, see

The strange thing is that Tomcat behaves the same. So I wonder if this is a
bug or a legacy problem for the servers due to confusing descriptions in
earlier JSP spec?

Please enlighten me!