On Jun 19, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Ronald Pieterse wrote:

> Is there a possibility to set a url-mapping in the servlet-mapping
> to match
> urls with a variable number of slashes?
> The problem I'm facing is that the urls contain encryption strings
> that
> might contain one or more slashes.
> They should all be accepted by the same servlet.
> Is it possible to match this in one url-mapping configuration?
> Should I make
> multiple configurations or would you say that this is not possible?
>
> The url looks like this:
>
> http://localhost/c/<key1>~<key2>~<key3>
>
> Each key might contain one or more slashes. How should I handle this?
> Am I right when I say it's never a good thing to have slashes in
> parameter
> values?

It would be far better to put any slashes in the query string.

The problem is that slashes have meaning to the HTTP specification, so
multiple slashes get normalized to a single slash (very important for
security).  But you can safely put slashes after the '?', since the
normalization stops at the '?'.

-- Scott